The baker’s skill combined with a ridiculous obsession for sourcing the finest ingredients.
Since we started Red Hen Baking Co. in 1999, we have been known primarily for our breads. We continue to focus much of our efforts on the “staff of life,” but opening our retail shop and café at Middle Ground allowed us the opportunity to expand our range into sweet treats.
Jeremy Gulley steers our pastry ship and every morning he and his team pack our pastry case with a wide range of goodies from croissants to biscotti.
Our pastries begin with simple, uncomplicated local ingredients — organic unbleached wheat flour, organic sugar, milk from Monument Farms, and a host of featured local fruits, cheeses and meats.
A selection of some of our most popular pastries
- Made with Champlain Orchards apples. Weekends only!
- Croissant dough and seasonal local fruit. Weekends only!
- Sugar cookies, shortbread, linzer tarts, and more. We change these up with the seasons, so keep your eyes open for our latest creation.
- We always keep our case supplied with our amply-sized trio of chocolate chip, molasses, and oatmeal raisin.
- The perfect coffee dunker. We make a few types. See what we decided to do this week.
- Stuffed with our own organic almond paste and covered with simple syrup and slivered organic almonds.
- Our decadent brownie with cayenne pepper
Ham and Cheese Croissant
- Featuring Boggy Meadow Swiss and North Country Smokehouse Ham.
Plain Jane Brownies
- Anything but plain, with organic chocolate from Ecuador
- Not a Donut but tastes like one! Made with croissant dough and rolled in cinnamon and sugar – baked not fried.
Chocolate Almond Croissant
- Just like the regular Almond Croissant, but with the addition of decadent organic chocolate.
- Simply irresistible. It also happens to be wheat-free.
Maple Glazed Sticky Bun
- The original favorite made with pure Vermont Maple Syrup and walnuts. Made only on the weekends.
- Our own energy bars! Stick it in your pocket for a pick-me-up when you need it. Chocolate or fruit.
- We bake a few different types of scones every morning. Perennial favorites are lemon-currant, almond orange, and bacon cheddar... but we add new types seasonally.
- Light and lovely. Cookies like the French do 'em.
Pain Au Chocolat
- Our croissant filled with organic chocolate from Ecuador.
Maple-Frosted Cinnamon Bun
- Made from croissant dough. A perfect morning bun.
- The classic French pastry with 38 layers of butter from VT Creamery.