Red Hen Cafe Menu
We make everything in-house from scratch with the finest ingredients. Many of our items feature local and/or organic ingredients.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CURRENTLY, WE ARE OPEN FOR TAKE-OUT OR CURBSIDE PICK-UP ONLY.
You can order and pay from our menu online here.
You can also call (802) 223-5200 x16 if you are interested in today’s selections or want to order ahead and pay by phone.
Please do not place same-day orders by email. We cannot dependably get those orders in time.
Top of the Mornin’ to Ya!Enjoy a little breakfast in the morning (or afternoon). Our breakfast pastries may do the trick for you, but for a more traditional breakfast, try these options.
Our Breakfast Sandwich
- Featuring farm fresh eggs, Cabot Cheddar, and lemon chive butter on Mad River Grain Bread. A great start to the day. Augment it with spinach, sausage, bacon, or ham if you wish!
- Two slices, butter, your choice of our bread
- Add Peanut Butter $1.00
- Add Jam $0.65
Our coffees and espresso drinks start with the carefully selected and roasted beans from the team at Vermont Artisan Coffee & Tea in Waterbury. We take pride in honoring their work by handling our coffee carefully. We source teas from both Vermont Artisan and Stoneleaf Tea in Middlebury.
Other Hot Drinks
Hot SandwichesPanini-pressed sandwiches served with a pickle during all hours the cafe is open.
Farmer’s Greens Grilled Cheese
- A variety of organic braising greens from Bear Roots farm with Cabot cheddar and grilled on your choice of bread.
- Cabot Cheddar or Swiss Cheese on your choice of bread.
Made to Order Lunch SandwichesDelicious cold sandwiches served with a pickle. Choose from one of our signature creations or create your own custom sandwich from our build-your-own menu. Sandwich bar closes at 5:00.
The Green Mountain Gobbler
- North Country Turkey, Pesto Mayo and Lettuce, you choice of bread.
Ham on croissant
- It really doesn't get much better than the simplicity of these two great foods sharing the stage together. VT Salumi ham and swiss cheese on our croissant, a touch of dijon mustard and mayo, and a leaf of lettuce.
Turkey and Cranberry
- North country Turkey, House-made Cranberry Chutney, Mayo, Red Onion and Lettuce, on your choice of bread.
- Nothing says summer like a BLT, and it doesn't get much better than ours with local tomatoes, bacon and garlic mayo on toasted Waitsfield Common (or your choice of bread).
- With the appearance of VT Salumi's "smoky, succulent, herbaceous ham" we wanted to so something to highlight this sublime new local product. What could be better than the traditional French sandwich? Paired with our baguette, VT Creamery butter, and grainy mustard, we think it is sublime!
- House-made hummus, Cabot cheddar, house-pickled red onions, Bear Roots organic spinach, on your choice of bread
SaladsWe will be adding to our salad menu as we continue the process of re-opening our cafe. For now, we are offering one that features the best spinach you'll ever eat, grown by our friends and neighbors at Bear Roots Farm.
Red Hen House Salad
- Organic greens from Bear Roots Farm topped with house croutons, sunflower seeds, and a house red wine vinaigrette.